Technical Workshops in Key Areas of Cell Biology
To provide minority students with the opportunity to acquire state-of-the-art knowledge and research skills in biological science techniques the MAC identifies well designed workshops and through its NIH/NIGMS MARC grant funds the attendance of minority students and young investigators.
In recent years, students and young investigators received funds to participate in Histochemical Society Workshops.
The 2001 Histochemical Society meeting took place from February 2 - 7.
In 2000, Iris McDuffie attended the Visualizing Neoplasia Workshop.
The following minority students and young investigators funded by the ASCB MAC participated in the Histochemical Society of America (HCS) workshop "Microscopy of Living Cells" and in meeting symposia and activities presented at the society meeting held April 16-17, 1999 in Bethesda, Maryland.
Wayne Clemmons of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine;
Anthony DePass of Long Island University;
Iris McDuffie of Norfolk State University;
Sonya Summerour of the University of California, San Diego;
Winston Thompson of Morehouse School of Medicine;
Chris Tubbs of Norfolk State University;
Joseph Whittaker of Morehouse School of Medicine,
and Tracey Williams Thomas of Howard University.
In 1998, the following awardees participated in Merging Molecular Biology with Morphologic Techniques:
- Sonya Summerour, University of California, San Diego
- Quincy Quick, New Mexico State University
- Mary Kay Mascaresnas, University of California, San Diego
- Osuem Paul Mgbonyebi , Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Imani Gardner, University of California, San Diego
- Jaime E. Ramirez-Vick, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Kafi Meadows, Albany Medical College
- Charisse Ward, Boston University School of Medicine
In 1997 workshops on Practical Confocal Microscopy, Digital Imaging, Recent Advances in Labeling Techniques for Immunocytochemistry, and Using the Tools of Stereology: Theory and Practice were attended by the following awardees:
- Francis N. Bosah, Morehouse School of Medicine
- Sheila A. Mathias, Meharry Medical College
- Yolanda D. Mock, NIH/NIA
- Vincent L. Lopez, New Mexico State University
- Rose Nesbitt, Howard University
- Alejandro Peralta Soler, The Lankenau Medical Research Center
- Lennell Reynolds, Jr., Chicago State University
- Marian T. Sepulveda Orengo, University of Puerto Rico