How Can You Get Involved?
Participate in trips to Capitol Hill
- Participate in regularly scheduled trips to Capitol Hill.
- Send messages about critical legislative action on Capitol Hill. You receive e-mail alerts from the ASCB notifying you about important action in Congress. More info
- Join Project 50, the ASCB Public Policy Advocacy Team and receive special updates on critical science policy issues, serve as a point of contact in your state to work with the Public Policy Committee, and organize your colleagues in support of biological research. More info
- Let your local civic leaders and neighbors know what is happening in their own backyard by arranging to give talks at religious and civic organizations, and writing Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds in your local newspapers.
Become an ASCB Ambassador
ASCB ambassadors are the local voice of the Society, promoting ASCB events such as the Annual Meeting and opportunities such as awards and scholarships. Moreover, ambassadors will be involved in future outreach activities and surveys sponsored by the ASCB. We need enthusiastic ASCB members who can spread the news through personal contacts and through their institutional e-mail lists, graduate student and postdoc organizations, and social media. It is a great way to participate in your scientific society and is also a leadership opportunity. We currently have 52 ambassadors around the world, and you can be the next one!
Any current ASCB member can be an ambassador (although our preference is to have only one ambassador per academic department/subdivision). The list of current ambassadors can be found below. Applications can be submitted here.
Science Discussion Tables at the Annual Meeting
Organize a Scientific Meeting
- Organize a one-day local meeting at your institution in 2014. More info/apply
Write for ASCB
- Submit an article for the ASCB Newsletter. New columns and suggestions are welcome. Tell other young scientists about career tips you got at a workshop, a webinar you might recommend, or some new techniques you are using in your lab…We welcome articles in the range of 200-600 words. More info
Enter a Contest or Apply for an Award
- Nominate yourself or someone else for one of ASCB's annual awards that honor our members at all levels. More info here
Connect with Us
- Join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn. We welcome your posts, tweets, comments, likes and messages year-round and at the annual meeting.
- Attend the Junior Faculty and Postdoctoral Fellows Career Development Workshop. Eligible applicants are underrepresented minorities in the sciences and/or those at minority-serving institutions. Awardees receive a travel award that covers registration, housing, meals and transportation. The workshop covers topics such as grant writing, lab management, tenure, and professional development. More info on 2013 coming soon.
- Apply for funding for summer courses at Friday Harbor Laboratories. Available for underrepresented undergraduate and graduate students and postdocs. More info at http://depts.washington.edu/fhl