Search Open for One Co-Chair of the Minorities Affairs Committee
The Minorities Affairs Committee (MAC) is an ASCB standing committee with the goal of providing opportunities for underrepresented minorities in the field of cell biology to develop and propel their careers. The MAC sponsors programs such as travel awards to the ASCB Annual Meeting, Visiting Professorship and Linkage Fellow awards, and career development workshops (http://ascb.org/minority-affairs-committee).
ASCB is now searching for one of two MAC Co-Chairs. The Co-Chair serves for a three-year term, which can be renewed for one term, for a maximum of six years total.
The ideal attributes of a MAC Co-Chair are:
- Strong leadership in the field of cell biology together with the skills, passion, interest, and time to serve the mission of the Society and the mission the MAC
- A demonstrated history of mentoring underrepresented minority students and scientists
- Experience working with and running committees—excellent communication, speaking, and writing skills
- A track record in grantsmanship and research
Search Open for Chair of the Women in Cell Biology Committee
The Women in Cell Biology Committee (WICB) is a standing committee of the ASCB whose mission is to advocate and promote gender equality and diversity in the field of cell biology by providing career development programs, mentoring, speaker lists, achievement awards, childcare grants, and Web-based resources for all ASCB members. The Chair serves for a three-year term, which can be renewed for a maximum of six consecutive years of service.
To this end, the ASCB is seeking someone with the following attributes and background to serve as WICB Chair beginning in 2016.
The ideal attributes of a WICB Chair are:
- Strong leadership in the field of cell biology together with the skills, passion, interest, and time to serve the mission of the Society and the mission of WICB
- A strong record of mentorship and leadership and evidence of a commitment to WICB’s mission
- Decisiveness and experience working with and running committees—excellent communication, speaking, and writing skills
Application Process for Both Searches
Applications will be reviewed and approved by the ASCB Council. ASCB members interested in seeking one of these unique leadership opportunities (or in nominating someone else) are asked to provide the following:
- Name of applicant
- Title, affiliation of applicant
- If a self-nomination, a one-page statement of why you want to be Chair/Co-Chair
- If a nomination of someone else, a one-page statement by the nominator of why the person would be a good Chair/Co-Chair. The person should know he or she is being nominated.
- Applicant’s CV